Tuesday, January 31, 2006

#7 Weekend Edition

The fruits of last weekend's efforts:

1-28-2006

This is another Ryan & Nick experiment. The order was drums & bass -> rhodes -> dual guitar attack. I find it to be quite different from their previous experiment in Post #2 which is cool. Recording these free-form sessions is already helping to lead everyone in new directions.

1-29-2006

Speaking of new directions, I didn't set out to record a "free jazz exploration"; it just turned out that way. Something about playing an acoustic guitar by one's self (when you can't sing) is frustrating: I want to hear chords and a melody together, but just can't seem to do it. Anyways, like many before me I tend to escape the frustration of an organized chord progression and carefully manicured melody by embracing chaos. The order of recording was acoustic -> organ -> drums.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still lovin' the free tunes. Keep it up. Why do you call them all "bounce"?

10:00 PM  
Blogger the mugs said...

Cool. Glad you're enjoying this stuff. I guess we started calling them "bounce" because it's the final step to getting the music into a file format that can be played in a conventional media player. I don't completely understand the ins-outs of bouncing myself, but the basic idea seems to be that it converts all the separate recorded tracks into a single stereo file. It also reduces the bitrate so the file is a manageable size (I think). I just found a more thorough explanation: http://www.sfu.ca/sca/Manuals/147/ProTools/PT-Bounce.html. I'll check it out. I should learn this stuff anyways.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a photo be a star site. It pretty much covers photo be a star related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home